(MBI-LIVE) The Construction Operation Lifecycle
- Dec 16, 2020 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Online Learning - Zoom
|Fee||Type of Fee|
|$100 / Person||MBI Members - First 2 People|
|$65 / Person||MBI Members - Each Additional Person From The Same Company|
|$135 / Person||Construction Update Subscribers & Non-Members|
Presenter: Michael Casten, Construction Concepts - North Myrtle Beach, SC
First, go and SEE. That is the most basic first step in any effort to improve the performance of any type of construction operation. This session will introduce attendees to the world of construction operation process and work zone metrics and how to “go and see” them within their own operations. Attendees will be introduced to a structured way of observing and documenting how work moves through space and time in varying degrees of detail. “Reactive Analysis”, that is, how to observe and document ongoing construction operations using a whole new set of criteria and measurements, always exposes opportunities for improvement and generates new learning that can be applied to similar operations in the future. The creation of a “process metrics” retained learning library will be described followed by how to employ that learning and the new familiarity with process metrics into future operation production planning activities referred to as “Proactive Analysis”. The session will conclude by describing the results of a detailed study in which 120 various construction operations experienced improved production, that resulted in improved production rates compared to previous experiences by a factor of 4.29:1.
- Become familiar with the power of the Plan/Do/Check/Act performance improvement model and the need to observe and measure the effectiveness of the work processes at the crew level.
- Understand how to plan for and intentionally observe and document ongoing construction operations.
- Become familiar with Operation Genectics and how this concept can help in both Reactive and Proactive analysis of construction operations.
- Understand how to use process and work zone metrics in the detailed planning of upcoming operations
- Understand how to plan for and carry out a "potential" production plan for an upcoming operation
- Become introduced to a packet of Operation Production Planning forms and worksheets
Master Builder Designation: Project Management - 1.5 credits